I never could have imagined that blogging could be so addictive! I am so dead tired right now, but in spite of that I am here typing away merrily.
Here I am again with yet another recipe. I found this very simple recipe here and decided to try it out. This is one of the first cupcake recipes I tried out in the microwave and luckily for me, it came out well. I especially loved the frosting – the addition of cream cheese made it even more interesting and delish and added another dimension.
I had a very busy evening although my entire day went off well with food and laughter with my office colleagues. We were all laughing and joking for a change. Perhaps it was the effect of today being a Friday.
Since I had a friend coming over on Sunday, and it also being Friendship day, I wanted to make it special with a well-planned menu and, of course, a lovely and special cake to mark the occasion. Incidentally, the day after happens to be my birthday. Talk about bad timing!
So, I left office a tad bit earlier than usual and went off to the Le Marche supermarket which was around 20 minutes away from where I lived. I was so glad to at last find the choco chips that I was looking all around for since the past month. I bought a whole lot of stuff required for baking cakes. Just in the middle of it, my husband calls to say he would be reaching home and he did not have the house keys with him, so I had to cut short on my shopping and rush home. My husband is really such a forgetful person that sometimes it becomes so inconvenient for me. Oh well! Just as I reach home, my maid comes in so I am stuck at home for some time till my husband reached. And then after grabbing a cup of tea and a buttered toast, I go back to another store to buy the silicone baking moulds. I wanted to buy the Borosil ones but didn’t find them so hoping the silicone ones are fine. I bought two of each size in case I planned on making layer cakes. I even bought a heart-shaped one for those special occasions. 🙂 And much to my relief, I found the food colours I wanted so I bought a whole box of them – blue, violet, orange-red and lemon yellow.
So, I am really drained of all energy once I reached home after all that shopping – I was carrying around 3-4 heavy bags, one had our packed dinner.
So, I will stop digressing and get on with the recipe:
Chocolate Cupcakes with Choco-Cream-cheese frosting
1 cup = 250 ml
For the cupcake batter:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbs cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup (4oz) cream cheese
- 1/4 milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (plus more if you want it sweeter)
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the butter. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir and repeat until melted.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, oil, milk, sugar and salt and beat with a fork until well combined. Add the melted chocolate and stir again. Sprinkle the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder over the egg mixture and stir again with the fork until well combined.
- Distribute equally between 3-4 baking cups or silicone cupcake moulds. You can also use a silicone muffin mould lined with cupcake liners. Just fill the moulds halfway only. I also added 4 chocolate chips to the very center of each cupcake to make a bit of a molten center. Microwave on high for 1 to 1.5 minutes. The “cooking” time will depend largely on the power of your microwave. Mine took 1 minute 15 seconds. My Microwave highest is 800 W.
- Let the cupcakes rest for about 10 minutes and then remove from the M/W and let it cool. Then unmould and invert over a wire rack.
- Make the frosting by adding the milk and the cream cheese to a bowl and beating on high until smooth and creamy.
- Then add the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and beat until combined. Add the frosting to a zip lock bag and cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom corner. Pipe the frosting into the cupcake. It’s ready. you can either let it set in the refrigerator or eat immediately. I didn’t pipe it but just poured the frosting over the cupcakes.
- I let the frosted cupcakes rest in the fridge to set the frosting. After the icing is set, you can take it out and serve.
I really loved these cupcakes – really rich and tasty with a very rich, creamy frosting. Divine! I hope you will love this recipe.