So, today I am going to post a recipe on Orange Marmalade cake.
My husband was gifted a jar of home-made orange marmalade from one of his clients and it was not being eaten by either of us. I was just thinking that this jar would go to waste when I chanced upon this recipe. I was delighted that I could at least put this marmalade to good use.
I was really happy with how the cake came out. The texture was very fluffy and felt so fresh and zingy.
I was surprised to find such a great texture for a cake made in the microwave mode. The key to this fluffy and light texture was the addition of egg whites.
I just love the bits of orange zest peeping out from the cake. The scent is heavenly too and the cake feels light. This makes for the perfect ‘chai‘ companion.
So, let me show you how it’s done. Recipe below:
Orange Marmalade cake (Microwave version)
Makes one 9 inch round cake or one 750 gram cake
1 cup = 250 ml
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 2 & 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup / 150 grams
- Baking Powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Orange Marmalade – 1/2 cup / 165 grams
- Butter – 150 grams soft and unsalted / 1/3 pound
- Eggs – 3 (should be at room temperature)
- Tutti frutti – 1/3 cup / 50 grams
- Milk – 1/2 cup / 125 ml
- Yogurt / Curd – 3 tblspn
- Grease a 9-inch round cake tin with butter and sprinkle it with flour on all sides and tap off the excess flour. Line with parchment paper for better unmoulding.
- Take the flour and baking powder in a sieve and sift them together. Set aside.
- Take a bowl and add butter and sugar to it and cream it well till it is fluffy and light.
- Now separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Add the egg yolks to the creamed butter and sugar. Keep egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks with the butter and sugar mix till smooth.
- Add the orange marmalade and tutti- fruity to this and mix well.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder into this. When you have added half of the flour in, add the milk in and mix well.
- Now add the remaining sifted flour in. Add the yogurt in and mix well.
- Transfer this mixture to the prepared pan and microwave on Medium for 8-9 minutes till a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
Remove the mould from the M/W oven and let it cool down for 30 mins.
So, there you have it, a zesty orange cake which is best eaten with a cup of ginger milk tea. This reminds me, it’s time for my tea-break. Off I go! See you soon with another amazing easy-peasy recipe! Ta-Da!