Today, I bring to you another delightfully refreshing recipe that has citrus and mango flavours – Lemony Mango Muffins!
These days, I am getting kind of bored, gorging on mangoes. Eating mangoes means messing up your hands and some days I just don’t feel up to it. So, the mangoes brought in last weekend were lying untouched in the refrigerator.
I was just surfing the net for some mango recipes when I came across this one. The addition of the mixed flavours of lemon zest with mango aroused my interest and I decided to give it a try. The last time I tried my hand at apple muffins, it turned out too jelly-like, perhaps due to too much of applesauce, so I was quite worried about these ones turning too soggy.
Well, I learned two lessons from this trial –
- Don’t overfill the muffin cups.
- Don’t grease the silicone moulds. If greasing, flouring is also important else muffins/cakes will have a wet bottom.
So, my mango muffins would have come out perfectly if I had not stuffed the muffin tray. But, otherwise, it turned out nice and refreshing. The lemon glaze added an extra zing to it. But, next time I must remember not to pour too much of it over the muffins else again it will turn soggy.
So here is a look:
This time, in place of the silicone muffin moulds, I used the paper laminated baking cups, seen above.
So, let me get on with the recipe:
Lemony Mango Muffins - Microwave version
1 cup = 250 ml
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 cup / 120 grams
- Granulated Sugar – 1/3 cup / 67 grams
- Lemon zest – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup / 120 ml
- Egg – 1/2 an egg
- Oil – 1/4 cup / 60 ml ( I used refined oil )
- Ripe Sweet Mangoes – 1 cup peeled, chopped + extra for topping
For the Lemon Glaze:
- Icing sugar / Confectioners Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 1/2 a lemon / about 2 tblspn
- Line a Muffin tray with cupcakes cases. Or you can simply use baking cups on its own. Place the baking cups on a baking tray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and mix well. Set aside.
- Take another mixing bowl and add the milk, oil, egg, lemon zest and mix well.
- Now pour the wet ingredients mix onto the dry mixture and mix it well. Add in the chopped mangoes and fold in gently, but do not over mix.
- Now scoop out this batter onto the muffin moulds and top each muffin with some more diced mangoes.
- Place the muffin mould into the microwave oven and microwave on medium power setting for about 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre, comes out clean. Let it stand for about 10 minutes before removing from the M/W.
- Remove from the M/W and let them cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the lemon glaze by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice till it is of smooth pouring consistency.
- Spoon this glaze over the warm muffins and serve.
So, that was quick, wasn’t it? And not too difficult either. All you need are the mangoes and lemons.
If you don’t want to have the muffins right away, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator or even in room temperature and just before eating, heat it for half a minute in the microwave. I love to have these with a cup of tea, but you can even have a glass of warm milk with it.
So, time for my nap now. Hope to catch you soon with another delightful recipe. Tata! 😛