I just made this most amazing soup the other day which I can’t stop raving about. It was the weekend and we both wanted to have something light for dinner and so we decided soup and breadsticks would be it!
I came across this lovely recipe in Allrecipes.com. Greek Lemon Chicken soup, as the name suggests, is part of Greek cuisine and the egg-lemon sauce that is added to the soup is known as Avgolemono and is commonly used in Greek cuisine. So, this soup is also called Avgolemono soup.
I especially liked this lemony flavour of the soup along with the addition of cooked rice. So it is almost like a meal in itself. We both just simply loved this soup, which has got to be our favourite after Potato-Leek soup which I have posted earlier. Do try that too. It is a great comfort soup for the winters.
The method of whisking some broth first to the beaten eggs to form a creamy texture before adding it back to the soup pan lends this creamy texture to the soup without having to add cream and to avoid a brothy texture with scrambled eggs floating in it. That is the beauty of this soup.
I prepare the Chicken broth in a pressure cooker which needs 4-6 whistles, to save time, as opposed to 2 hours in a slow cooking pan.
Here is the recipe:
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono soup)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons diced, cooked chicken meat
- 6 slices lemon for garnishing
- 3 egg yolks
For the Chicken Broth (Yields 3 cups):
- 400g chicken boned in
- 1-2 Celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- A few whole peppercorns
- 3-4 cups cold water
- Prepare the chicken broth: Skip this step if you are using the store-bought one. Place all the ingredients for the broth in a pressure cooker or a dekchi. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover with lid and pressure cook on medium high flame for 4-6 whistles. Let the pressure subside, then remove the lid and set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery and pepper. Bring to a boil on high, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the butter and the flour together. Then gradually add it to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add some of the hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot and heat through. Add the rice and chicken. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.
I sure hope you do try out this amazing recipe. You will always want to have more of it. That lemony flavour makes the soup taste light and fresh and all summery. Be sure to try it out! Leave your comments below. And don’t forget to share!! Thanks!