Carrot is my favourite vegetable since childhood. I just love this in any form. I used to love it as a mixed vegetable with green peas and french beans and as a dessert like Carrot Halwa. But more recently, I have started liking it in the form of carrot cake. I made a simple carrot cake in the microwave mode earlier which I have posted here.
This time I attempted making the American Classic Carrot cake which is a very moist and sticky cake – not your regular pound cake – and for this moistness, pineapple puree has been added.
Teamed with the cream cheese frosting, a bite of this delightful cake packs you off to heaven! In my earlier carrot cake post too, I have frosted with the cream cheese frosting. I think I prefer this to any other frosting.
American Classic Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields: 1 9-inch Round Cake
Source: Yummy Tummy
- Flour-1 cup/ 120 gm
- Baking soda-1 tsp
- Baking powder-1 tsp
- Cinnamon-1 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Carrot -1 cup grated
- Sugar-1 cup / 200 gms
- Vanilla-1 tsp
- Oil- ½ cup / 120 ml / 4 fluid ounces
- Pineapple- ½ cup / 120 ml / 4 ounces crushed
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Cream Cheese – 1/2 cup
- Icing Sugar – 3 cups
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 170 degree C. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan. Since this cake is a very delicate one, for easier removal from the pan, you can line with parchment paper. I didn’t use it this time and so I didn’t remove the cake from the pan.
- Prepare the cake batter: Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. To the dry mix, add the grated carrot and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs till fluffy and then beat in the sugar and vanilla for 3 mins.
- Beat in the oil and mix in the pureed pineapple and ensure everything is evenly mixed. Now, add in the carrot mixture and fold in well.
- Time to bake: Pour this batter into the cake pan and bake it for about 30-35 mins or until the cake is cooked. Check for doneness with a bamboo skewer inserted in the centre.
- Let this cool completely before icing. If you are using parchment paper, you can easily remove the cake from the pan and invert over a wire rack. Remove the paper and let the cake cool completely.
- Prepare the icing: While it is cooling, make the frosting. Sift icing sugar well and set aside. In a mixing bowl, take the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and use an electric beater to cream them together. Now add in half the icing sugar and beat them well. Add a tbsp of milk and beat well. Now add in remaining icing sugar and beat well till creamy.When the cake is cooled down spread this icing over the cake.
- Slice and serve.
This cake can be had as a dessert cake, but a little judiciously due to its rich calorie content. I have to muster up my self-control to not over indulge as I have borderline blood sugar. But do make it and even without the frosting, it would taste just as great. 🙂
Leave your comments below and do press the like button if you enjoyed this recipe.