As the name implies, this is a French recipe. I have attempted another such French cake – the French Yoghurt cake which turned out equally well. I will be posting the recipe for that soon.
Now, the real reason I decided to make this cake was because my refrigerator was stocked up with apples that I had forgotten to eat so I found this the best way to use them. I am very pleased with the outcome and am really glad that I tried out this recipe. Unlike other Apple cake recipes which require pureed apples or apple sauce, this simple recipe just needed finely chopped apples.
I find that sprinkling granulated sugar over the cake adds to its visual appeal.
My husband, who likes simple cakes, really loved this one although he was wary of trying out my American Classic Carrot Cake.
So, I urge you to try out this simple yet wonderful recipe which is great with my morning cup of tea.
French Apple Cake
Source: Yummy Tummy
- Soft Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup / 110 grams
- Sugar – 1/2 cup / 100 grams
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
- Large Eggs – 2
- Rum – 2 tbsp (optional)
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 cup / 120 grams
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Apples – 2 peeled and chopped
- Sugar – 1.5 tbsp for sprinkling over cake
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. First prepare an 18 cm cake pan by greasing it well and dusting it with flour.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla in a bowl. Add one egg at a time and beat till creamy.
- Add the rum and flour mix. Fold in till well mixed.
- Add the chopped apples and fold gently.
- Spoon this into the pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with the 2 tbsp of sugar and bake for 40 mins until a toothpick inserted comes clean and the top is golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
- Remove it from the pan and slice and serve.
I sincerely hope that you feel inspired to make this simple fruity cake. The Rum is optional but really adds depth to the flavour. Please leave your comments below and do hit the Like button if you liked this recipe. 🙂