French Yoghurt Cake or gâteau au yaourt is the second French cake recipe I attempted and my first yoghurt-based cake. You can find my first French cake here.
The story behind this yoghurt cake is that it is one of the only desserts that French people will make at home, in addition to mousse and rice pudding. Culturally the French are not home bakers because anywhere you go in France there is a nearby pâtisserie from where they can buy desserts. Home cooks measure the ingredients for the cake in a yogurt container, which makes the experience especially foolproof for them. So, basically, the idea for making this cake is that it is very simple and easy and needs just one mixing bowl for the preparation of the batter although I think I used more. Also, this cake is the first cake that French children learn to make.
I usually love cakes that go well with my morning or evening cup of ginger milk tea and this is one such cake. Not too fancy and yet the yoghurt gives it a tangy, fluffy texture. I am not too fond of sugary cakes so I found the sweetness in this cake just enough. I have also made an eggless Sour Cream Cake, the recipe for which I will post soon.
French Yoghurt Cake
Source: Yummy Tummy
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 1/2 cup / 180 grams + 2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cooking Oil – 1/2 cup / 120 ml
- Curd / Yogurt – 3/4 cup / 180 ml
- Sugar – 1 cup / 200 grams
- Eggs – 2
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Tutti Fruity – 1/3 cup (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 170 Degree C. Take a loaf pan and grease it with oil. Dust with flour generously and coat on all sides. Tap off the excess and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl till fluffy and beat in the oil. Add the curd and mix well. Next, add the Vanilla extract and beat till evenly mixed. Now, add the sugar and beat till well blended.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and fold in this flour mixture to the wet mix. Do not over mix.
- Now, add the tutti fruity and fold in well.
- Pour this into the mould and bake for about 50 to 55 mins or till a skewer/toothpick inserted in the centre comes clean.
- Remove it from oven and let it cool for 15 mins. Once, it is cooled, unmould it and cool completely. Slice and serve.
- For easy and clean slicing. Chill the cooled cake for 30 mins to 1 hour before slicing.
Do try it out and let me know what you think. Please leave your comments below and do hit the Like button if you liked this recipe. 🙂