Red Velvet cakes are so attractive visually which mostly accounts for its popularity as much as its fluffy texture does. Wikipedia describes it as:
A Chocolate cake with either a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It is traditionally prepared as a layer cake topped with cream cheese or cooked roux icing.
Common ingredients include buttermilk, butter, cocoa, and flour for the cake, beetroot or red food coloring for the color.
It is said that during the World War II when foods were rationed, bakers used boiled beet juices to enhance the color of their cakes. Beets are found in some red velvet cake recipes, where they also serve to retain moisture.
So, basically, I am going to show you how to make Red Velvet Cupcakes using the traditional Red Velvet Cake recipe which uses boiled beet puree to provide the deep red colour to the cake.
Unfortunately, mine turned out less of red and more of deep brown-red colour for some reason.
But as I am unable to consume beetroot in any other form so having them this way is cool. 🙂
Traditional Red Velvet Cupcake with Beetroot
Traditional Red Velvet Cupcake with Beetroot as an ingredient to replace the red food colour.
Credit: Yummy Tummy
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 1/2 cup / 180 grams
- Sugar – 1 cup / 200 grams
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tbsp
- Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Beetroot Puree – 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup / 120 ml
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup / 120 ml
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Cook beetroot in a pan or pressure cooker till it is done. Let it cool down and then puree to a smooth consistency. Leave it to cool completely.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour the milk and vinegar into a jug and mix well.
- Add the oil, vanilla, beetroot puree and the sugar to the milk mixture and mix well.
- Now add in the flour mix and fold gently.
- Now spoon the batter into muffin cases using and ice-cream scoop and bake this for 20 to 25 mins till a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Now remove this from oven and cool them on a wire rack.
Do try this out while I will be back with more recipes!! Do leave your comments below.