The Classic Bread pudding has got to be the simplest and easiest and most common pudding to be made.
Food historians trace the history of bread pudding to the early 11th and 12th centuries, as frugal cooks looked for ways to use stale, leftover bread instead of letting it go to waste.
In 13th century England, bread pudding was known as “poor man’s pudding,” as it was a popular dish with the lower classes.
While bread pudding is still a way to use up leftover bread, it has gained a reputation as a comfort food and is a featured dessert item in trendy establishments, having shed its humble roots.
I remember as a child having this dessert in Tea Garden suppers and also in boarding school.
So, let me show you how to make this delightful and comforting dessert. Recipe below.
Classic Bread Pudding
A popular dessert made by layering bits of bread and any addins in a dish and pouring a custard sauce over before baking.
Credit: Yummy Tummy
- Brioche Buns or any bread – 3 chopped
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 4 tbsp + extra
- Eggs – 3
- Sugar – 1/2 cup or as needed
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Grease a baking pan with butter and set aside. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Take the buns/bread and cut into cubes and let them dry out for an hour or so by placing on a board or tray.
- Pour the milk, cream, and butter into a saucepan and heat it till the butter is melted.
- Now add the eggs, sugar and vanilla to a bowl and whisk till well combined.
- Now add the milk and cream mix and whisk well.
- Now add the bread cubes to this mix and let this sit for 30 mins or so in order for the bread cubes to soak in the custard sauce.
- Now pour this into the baking pan, top with raisins and ensure that it is immersed in the custard mix. Dot with butter and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Now pop this in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 mins. Remove it and set aside to cool. You can chill it once cool in the refrigerator for an hour or so for the pudding to absorb the flavours.
- Serve with a drizzle of Vanilla Custard Sauce.
Do try out this easy recipe and let me know what you think.