I love pasta a lot, especially with loads of vegetables and protein. As I don’t have much time to spare for indulgent meals on weekdays, I keep my pasta cooking limited to weekends and usually I like to enjoy it as a meal in itself. Mostly, as I don’t want to spend the whole day cooking meals in the kitchen, the pasta dish comes to the rescue as I can have it as a brunch or late lunch meal. It is a complete lifesaver and very wholesome too.
To amp up the flavour of the pasta sauce, I like to add some kind of alcohol to it from time to time. I mostly add white wine but this time I decided to add some vodka as I had it lying around and I didn’t like to drink it by itself.
I have also added chicken stock and cream for the sauce so it is kind of heavy. You may skip the vodka altogether and replace it with chicken stock completely.
So, to learn how to prepare it, keep reading!
Pasta in a Creamy Vodka Sauce
A Creamy Vodka Based Sauce for Pasta
- (Pre-Cooked) Smoked Chicken Breasts- 2 pieces
- Penne Pasta about 100g or enough for two people.
- Onion, 1 chopped roughly
- Garlic, crushed, about 4-5 pods
- Olive oil for cooking,
- Butter, about 2 tbsp for cooking
- Mushrooms, about 1/2 cup
- Green Bell Pepper, 1, sliced or chopped roughly
- Celery, chopped, 1/2 cup
- Carrots, chopped, 1/2 cup
- Green Peas, shelled, 1/4 cup
- Freshly chopped Basil or Dried Basil for seasoning.
- Green onion, finely chopped, 1/2 cup
- 1 chicken stock cube ( Maggi Brand) + 1 cup hot, boiling water
- 2 cups Half-and-half (1 cup Milk + 1 cup Heavy Cream)
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- Vodka, 1/2 cup
- Prepare the pasta. Heat water in a pan and when it starts to boil, add some salt and olive oil and then add the pasta. Cook for about 10 minutes till al-dente. Drain and keep aside.
- Chop the onion and vegetables and keep aside.
- Mix the milk and cream together till well blended.
- Prepare the Chicken stock. Boil water in a saucepan and then add the stock cube to the water and dissolve it. Your chicken stock is ready!
- Heat some oil and then melt some butter in a frying pan. Add the Chicken breasts and brown them on both sides. Drain on tissue paper. Chop them and keep aside.
- Next, add some more oil to the pan. Add the onions and mushrooms and stir them for sometime.
- Next, add in the garlic, and the rest of the vegetables and fry them till almost cooked.
- Then, add in the green peas and stir fry them.
- Now, add the vodka and simmer till the alcohol dries.
- Add the chicken stock and boil it till the liquid is reduced by half.
- Once, the liquid is thickened, add the cream+milk mixture and cook till it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Now, you can add the seasonings like salt, pepper and herbs as per your taste. 13. Once the sauce is done, mix in the cooked pasta & the grated cheese and add more seasonings if needed.
- Switch off the flame, and serve the pasta.
I sure hope that you try out this recipe and enjoy it like I did. Coming back with more such delightful ones! Please leave you thoughts below.
If you are more of a visual person, here is the video for you!